thebookcookie

The Book Cookies

My name is Taylor and I'm an avid reader, as well as an aspiring author! I love cookies (obviously) and fantasy is my favorite genre (I usually review YA novels). Book reviews usually take 1-7 days to write, depending on the book.
The Alloy of Law - Brandon Sanderson

Actual Rating: 3.75/5 star sandwiches

Warning: There are a few spoilers in this review in the section where I talk about sexism, so if you don't want to be spoiled, just skip over that part.

1. Summarized Thoughts
This book wasn't nearly as enjoyable or wonderful as the first trilogy set in the Mistborn world (so if you're a fan of the first trilogy, I wouldn't have very high expectations), but I loved it nonetheless. The discrepancy in time periods from the first few books and the one in this trilogy was definitely something to get used to. In this installment, instead of swords and Mistborns, we have guns and a slightly different variation of the powers represented in the first trilogy.

2. Plot
When this novel begins, technology has advanced and three hundred years have passed since the prior events of the first Mistborn trilogy; we are informed of a man named Waxillium Ladrian, the main character, who is a lawkeeper from a place called the Roughs. He is a rare Twinborn, someone who can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. Then, when he retires from the Roughs after twenty years, we come back to Elendel (also known as the City), which is much different -or perhaps more dangerous- then before.

3. Sexism
Like in the first trilogy, the sexism in the society of this world is nicely shown subtly through quotes and details in the story. Although, unfortunately, there is much cissexism shown throughout the story (something I'm not surprised about when it comes to novels of all genres and age ranges), quotes made by the main female character, Marasi, gave me a look into the deleterious effect of gender roles of this place and definitely spiked my interest.

(Page 97) "'It's just that...' She raised a hand to shade her eyes and looked down in embarrassment. 'It's just...Oh, all right. I'm studying legal justice and criminal behavioristics.'

'That's something to be ashamed of?' Waxillium said, sharing a confused look with Wayne.

'Well, I've been told it's not very feminine,' she said."

(Page 174-175) "'Don't think that you can't because you're a woman; high society might lead you to believe that, but it doesn't matter out beyond the mountains. Out there, you don't have to wear lacy dresses or smell like flowers. You can belt on some revolvers and make your own rules. Don't forget, the Ascendant Warrior herself was a woman.'

[I skipped a couple quotes in this part.] She smiled. 'I like the lacy dresses and smelling like flowers. I like living the city, where I can demand for modern conveniences.'"

3. Character Development
Waxillium, in the first half of the novel, tries to avoid his old Rough-like (no pun intended) tendencies and struggles especially with the death of one who was close to him. Although his mourning of that person continues throughout the book, he pushes through it as he goes on an adventure to save the women taken by the Vanishers. However, Wayne's presence brings a bit of comic relief, and their camaraderie remains solid.

Marasi goes from being ashamed of her interests to embracing it, a transition I really appreciated.

4. The Writing
The writing, expectantly, was great to read and kept me captivated, the author's prose shaping delicate images in my mind; the action scenes were fast-paced and nicely done.

5. Conclusion
In conclusion, this was a nice read, although the pacing felt a bit slow in some parts. If you're a fan of the first Mistborn trilogy, I suggest you pick this up.